Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
We don’t get a great deal of foggy days around where I live. Last winter was different, although almost too much, with entire days with only a few meters of visibility. On a number of occasions, I had to abandon my photography plans because I simply didn’t see anything, and all the “foggy compositions” I had in mind didn’t work out. When I took this picture I had headed out to a ruin of an ancient tower about 30 meters high that, in non-foggy times, makes for a nice vantage point with a beautiful view to the Swiss Jura mountains.
On this particular day, though, my hopes for an eerie shot literally disappeared as soon as I had reached the top of the tower. I didn’t see anything. After about half an hour of contemplating and actually enjoying the complete absence of anything visual or acoustic, I was ready to pack up, when all of a sudden the fog lifted just a bit, but enough to reveal, very subtly, the forest underneath the tower. As much as I loved this very delicate scene I had quite a hard time finding the right balance post-processing, trying to get the contrasts right and making sure the tree structure would show just the right amount of details. I printed this picture on a structured fine-art paper, and I like it a lot.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor