TAKE PART • WIN $100
A photographer friend of mine, who happens to live in Newfoundland, suggested a few years ago that we visit Greenland and photograph icebergs in the summer. I remember asking why she would want to visit Greenland when there are icebergs in her area in July and August, and she said one word: "size".
So now she has me interested in this adventure, especially the part about sailing on a steel hulled sloop in Disko Bay off the coast of Ilullisat.
In the middle of July, we flew to Iceland, then a commuter sized plane to Ilullisat. During the day we stayed at one of the few hotels, but every night we boarded the sloop and sailed into the ice of Disko bay for a week, returning in the morning. It was beyond words when I first saw the massive giants of ice around us; also, it was comforting to have a steel hull since a few smaller bergs did slide along side. The light was soft as the sun never completely sets in the summer, so you are dealing with hours of twilight and almost sunset. Some days we had amazing light, others it was somewhat flat or overcast, but the sight of those ice giants as we sailed close to them was awe inspiring. I had brought my Canon 5D Mark III with me, but lo and behold, when I started to shoot, it went belly up and stopped working...I almost went crazy trying rebooting, changing batteries, settings, etc...Ok, I admit it: I was stressed out...however, I did have my Mk II as backup so I switched to that camera before they threw me overboard. This image was taken with the Mk II.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor