Winter offers the perfect conditions for minimalist natural scenes, as the snow often forms abstract shapes and patterns. I took advantage of these conditions at the beginning of winter in the Southern Carpathian Mountains of Romania to search for simple but visually impactful scenes when I came across this late autumn leaf alone on the snow-covered edges of a river.
With the help of the wavy snow shapes, I framed the image so that the leading lines of the foreground would lead the eye from the bottom-left towards the leaf, emphasizing the contrast of colours and the contrast of seasons at the same time.
I believe that minimalist images need to have simplicity in their component elements but with a very well-balanced composition that attracts the viewer's eye towards a subject which clearly dominates the frame (by shape, contrast, colour, texture or by message) - in this case, the leaf embodying the ephemeral character of nature.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor