Even though Acadia National Park is a small park, it packs a variety of natural features in its compact size. There are miles of rocky shoreline, ponds and tarns, forests and high hilltop vistas. Because it occupies much of Mt Desert Island, it offers both sunrise and sunset possibilities. For whatever reason, sunrise seems to draw many more photographers than sunset does, the opposite of what I usually experience in other places. So I wasn’t surprised on this evening near Hunters Head to see only one other photographer in my general vicinity. In my many trips to Acadia, I have seen many colorful sunrises, but only a few dramatic sunsets. This was clearly the most breathtaking.
This shot was taken about 10 minutes after sunset when the reds were just beginning to dominate. The image is a vertical panorama taken with my 24mm tilt-shift lens. I took two exposures, one for the sky and the second for the foreground rocks, and then I shifted the position of the lens vertically and repeated the exposure sequence. In Affinity Photo, I manually blended each pair and stitched the blended photos. After importing the final image into Lightroom, I used a brush to slightly burn the area of the setting sun.
I typically visit Acadia in early October to take advantage of the colorful trees and shrubbery, as do hundreds, if not thousands of like minded folk. Since I last visited, the National Park Service has instituted an online vehicle reservation system for Cadillac Summit Rd (that’s where most people go for sunset!). Spring is also a good time to photograph seascapes like this without the crowds.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor