Dry Falls has been on my list of waterfalls to visit for a few years. My friend Nick was coming down from Ohio, and he had been wanting to photograph it as well. We met up along the Blue Ridge Parkway at 4 a.m. at the Pisgah Inn, I had left the house at 2 a.m. to meet him there. After another 2 hours of driving in thick fog and rain, we made it to our location, Dry Falls. It was still dark when we arrived. You could hear the rumble of the falls with the doors shut and the windows up. Once light start to break, we made our way down to the falls. This waterfall is a magnificent 65 foot waterfall located in the Nantahala National Forest in Highlands, North Carolina. The National Forest made viewing this particular waterfall very special as you can walk behind it. I made my way to the far side of the falls, I really wanted to look at every angle possible. I also attached my B&W CPL filter to my lens so that I could get rid of the shine on the rocks.
The first thing I noticed was a tree starting to bloom in the upper corner of this composition, I wanted to make sure I added it so that I could show that it was taken during Spring. The next thing I noticed was the green moss that has built up along the rocks, I wanted to make sure to include it in to the image. Being behind the falls added another element to the photo as well, it allowed me to capture the subtle drips right along the edge. Timing this shot just right also allowed me to capture the detail in the water without blowing it out. This composition flows so well (pun intended), your eye follows the flow of the water naturally and it allows you to explore the entire image.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor