Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Glen Affric is often described as the most beautiful glen in Scotland, stretching for some 30 miles from Kintail in the west to near Cannich in the east. It is a classic landscape of mountains and beautiful lochs and is home to one of the largest remnants of the ancient Caledonian Pine Forest that once covered much of the Highlands. The north side of the glen forms a ridge with eight Munro summits, while the 70 km Affric Kintail Way runs along the south side of the glen.
Although beautiful at any time of year, autumn is the perfect time to visit for the combination of autumn colours and, hopefully, snow-capped mountains. The colours were at their peak during my visit in early November. But, as is expected in Scotland, I experienced the four seasons over the four days that I spent in Glen Affric, from glorious sunshine to moody storm light to mist and sideways rain and snow flurries - sometimes all in the same day.
This much photographed lone birch tree sits at the end of a pine island in the middle of one of Glen Affric's lochs with an unpronounceable name (Loch Beinn a' Mheadhoin). I had driven past it several times, but on cloudy days with flat light. On my last day, the sun made an appearance and the little birch tree was wonderfully backlit by the late autumn sun streaming down the glen. The Scots pines and birch trees on the other side of the loch also shimmered in the autumnal sunshine. I used a polariser to enhance the reflections in the still water in the bay.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor