Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Cana Island Evening
I live in Wisconsin at the tip of an 80 mile long peninsula that extends out into Lake Michigan. There are wonderful photographic opportunities in every season and this image was made on an early December evening shortly before our first snowfall. I went to explore Cana Island on this late afternoon just to scout possibilities and see the island as the day ended on an exceptionally calm day.
Cana Island and it’s lighthouse is an iconic and popular spot in Door County but this year Lake Michigan is at historically high levels and a short swim or wade is necessary to get onto the island so when I arrived there was not another person around. When I put up my drone the sky was quite unremarkable and not photogenic at all to me so I explored the island details. But as the sun set, the sky got more and more exciting to me and so I started to change my compositions to include it. I kept flying until dark, using up all the batteries I had with me.
I probably sat in the sky about an hour and a half just watching and photographing what was happening in every direction, just briefly landing to switch to a fresh battery and recharging them using a charger I have in my vehicle. What was supposed to be just a brief scouting flight turned into a delightfully long and very productive late afternoon and evening.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor