TAKE PART • WIN $100
As a child, I grew up vacationing at the Outer Banks of North Carolina and I have many fond memories of that unique shoreline. When I learned that a photographer friend of mine would be hosting a workshop there, I was super excited to join them. Once again, the location did not disappoint, and I came away with some lovely images.
We began our workshop that first evening at the Bodie Island lighthouse nearby on the island of Nags Head and managed to catch some nice light for sunset. Early the next morning, we returned to Bodie Lighthouse to photograph the Milky Way as it passed behind the lighthouse. That was my first time trying astrophotography and it was a thrilling experience.
As the first rays of light started to make their appearance in the sky, we all moved further out away from the lighthouse to find a new composition for sunrise. Many of the photographers in the group were shooting the sunrise out over the sound but I was drawn in by the wooden walkway leading to the lighthouse. I set up my tripod, framed up my shot using the walkway as my leading line and waited, somewhat impatiently, for the clouds to inch their way behind the lighthouse to fill in my sky. Just as the clouds got into position, the sun broke the horizon to the left and lit up the lighthouse with a beautiful golden light. I managed to fire off several frames before the light was gone and I was thrilled with the results when I loaded them into Adobe Lightroom. I love how the windows in the house at the base of the lighthouse appear to be on fire with a glowing yellow light. This image ended up being one of my top favorites from the entire workshop and proves that sometimes it is absolutely worth the wait!
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor