Sept. 28, 2023. 9:15 am. On this particular morning, as I walked along the north shore of Maroon Lake, I couldn't help but notice this patch of white daisies still blooming even though it was late September at an altitude of over 9,000 feet (2750 meters).
I watched several people take cell phone shots of the daisies with the Bells in the background – a beautiful picture, for sure. As I viewed the scene, I realized there was hardly a breath of wind, so the flowers were nearly motionless. This would be essential for doing a focus bracketed set of images to create a focus-stacked and stitched gigapixel photo.
With such a beautiful scene, I contemplated if I could pull off shooting a gigapixel wall mural of this beauty God had provided us on this glorious morning. Always up for a challenge to capture God's creation in a gigapixel wall mural, I decided I would position my tripod about 3ft ( 1 meter) above the ground, some 6 ft (2 meters) from the daisies (which is as close as my 300mm prime lens will focus) and attempt to include the Daisies in a shot with them as the prominent foreground subject. Plus, as a bonus, the lake was nearly a mirrored surface reflecting the yellow Aspens on the foothills of the Bells – a couple of pairs of ducks quietly fed along the shoreline as I was shooting. I spent the better part of 30 minutes shooting the set of images that went into creating this shot.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor