Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Yellowstone National Park is a premier destination for observing wildlife and is often called the Serengeti of North America. For reasons I can’t fathom, it is not as popular a destination for landscape photographers. In my experience, the thermal features greatly eclipse those of other places around the world not only in number but in diversity of types, size and color.
At the north end of the park are the Mammoth Hot Springs. The travertine terraces are elaborate and colorful. I especially like the Upper Terraces as they allow the placement of mountains in the background and are good sunrise and sunset spots. On this trip, I spent two days here. On the first day, a large number of photographers were there at sunrise, jockeying for positions on the boardwalk. That night, the weather report said a storm front was arriving overnight or early in the morning. I remember thinking that tomorrow would either be a dud or something special. As it turns out, it was indeed special. And surprisingly only one other photographer arrived to share the Upper Terraces with me, and he was working another section when dawn broke. The storm arrived just as dawn was breaking, producing a fiery red first light that quickly changed to ominous grey storm clouds. It was gone as quickly as it arrived. Late risers never saw it.
I wanted to capture the trailing edge of the storm. To do this and still include most of the storm clouds, I chose to make a two frame panorama. No additional processing other than adjusting the white balance was applied.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor