TAKE PART • WIN $100
Early morning light can be good for landscape reflections. The main ingredients have to be an absence of wind, a weather front or attractive atmospheric conditions, foreground and background elements, perhaps a scarcity of human visitors to the scene, and a good viewpoint. These were the attributes of an image in the state of Nevada, USA.
Most visitors to this area go to another larger lake that is well known, Lake Tahoe. That higher altitude lake has many admirable qualities. However, that location does not allow a good reflection on most occasions owing to the lake’s large size and frequent wind across its large open space. Also, there often are many visitors within view.
The lake depicted here, Lahontan Reservoir, is often considered an ordinary body of water. The trick is to look at the water in good light and under good conditions. In this case, I studied the weather forecast for the area, and then went to the lake at a good time of day as well as at a time of good atmospheric conditions. The significant remaining problem was to get a good vantage point for the composition. This came from knowing the natural islands in the lake in advance and in accessing the scene from above with an aerial camera. Though that may sound simple, I had to use trial and error to find the best composition. Of course, there are an infinite number of possibilities, so I had to look around for a while to see what was attractive.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor