TAKE PART • WIN $100
This image was actually shot from the foot plate between two carriages of the train en route to the summit of the Brocken, the highest peak in the Harz Mountains in Northern Germany.
Together with my family, I had traveled to Germany from Tropical Australia in an attempt to experience our first white Christmas. While it did not snow on Christmas Day, we got more than we bargained for on Boxing Day when we booked a trip on the historic steam train which travels up the mountain. A heavy snow storm, together with near cyclonic winds made for pretty uncomfortable conditions to temperatures in the 30s and humidity in the 90s at this time of year.
While I certainly didn't get the shots I had anticipated, the conditions made for some images which I had never envisaged previously, and probably never will again. Unfortunately, to get the cleanest shots I had to spend much of the trip on the footplate open to the the weather with frequent trips into the heated carriage to thaw out frozen fingers and change over camera batteries which handled the conditions even worse than I did.
At the end of the day, it became one of the highlights of our trip which I'm sure will be talked and laughed about at family gatherings for a long time into the future.
If there was one lesson I took away from this trip, it would be that the capacity of camera batteries is drastically reduced in near freezing conditions and you always need to carry a couple of spares in an inside pocket to keep them warm.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor