TAKE PART • WIN $100
I set out on the Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes in Death Valley National Park that evening in hopes of capturing the vast desert scenes characteristic of the location. Well known to all who have tried to photograph this location that footprints in the sand are extremely pervasive and difficult to elude if you are anywhere within a one mile radius of the parking lot. As a result, I spent a great deal of time hiking away from the parking lot to find the virgin dunes.
By the time I was able to locate this dune with the dead Mesquite bush perched firmly on it's bank, the sun was hanging low in the sky. I scrambled to compose the bush on the dune - careful not to walk on or disturb any sand in my potential composition. Once I had my composition locked in, I was disheartened to see the shadow of a nearby dune had crept in to the bottom of my composition and would soon envelop the entire mesquite bush if I did not act fast. Hastily, I clicked the shutter discouraged I did not set out earlier that evening to avoid this encroaching shadow.
Much to my surprise, I was quite happy with the photograph when I got back home to my computer. The shadow serves to bound the viewers eye from the bottom of the composition and allows the mesquite bush to stand out even more as it catches the last of the evening light and casts its own dramatic shadows in its centrally located position. The lines in the sand and the gentle sweeping dune in the background delicately sets this decrepit mesquite bush in its surroundings and offers a calm vignette into the vast desert land.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor