Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
The Vicentina Coast is an area that is integrated in a Natural Park in southwest Portugal. This coastal region belongs to the western part of the Algarve province but is less well known than the more popular balmy beaches in the southern coast. This coastline is characterized by tall cliffs that have been eroded through time, resulting in a flat terrain that is cut by deep ravines. Due to the strong oceanic influence, including persistent winds, any tall vegetation is absent, and so the hills are covered with small shrubs. During springtime, small clusters of flowers show their colours here and there, adding to the beauty of the landscape.
During the spring of this year, I spend a few days in the region, travelling along the coast and photographing several beaches. This photo was made around sunset in Carrapateira beach, looking north. This beach is located near the Bordeira village and features a large sandy expanse, near the estuary of a small creek. I walked around looking for a good viewpoint over the coast. After a while I noticed a small area with some flowers that would make an interesting foreground subject. I managed to set up my tripod almost flat to the ground and used a wide-angle lens to achieve a near – far composition. I have also used a neutral density filter to obtain an exposure time long enough to impart movement to the clouds, that were moving fast due to the wind. I was happy with the resulting image, as it conveys the nature of this coast, shaped by the combined action of the ocean and the wind.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor