It's a cold, blustery, miserable day outside. I sit on the couch watching the snow whip by my window, almost horizontal, as the little birds at the bird feeder tenaciously cling to the feeder for some much-needed seeds. I'm watching some landscape photography videos on Youtube. One particular photographer is out in much the same weather as what I am witnessing outside my window, and this inspires me to go out and shoot.
Youtube will be there when I get back, but this wild weather will very soon be an opportunity that will pass, and I will have that "I should have" voice nagging me once it is gone. This image was taken just a short fifteen-minute drive from my house.
On the drive to this location, the sun began to peak out from the dispersing cloud cover, and I thought to myself, "Yup, probably missed this opportunity". Nevertheless, I continued just in case this changeable weather would again go in my favour, and it paid off.
Just fifteen minutes from setting up my composition, I saw on the horizon an ominous bank of dark clouds and below it, a trailing snow squall obscured the distant trees, and it was heading my way. Sure, it was wet miserable weather, and I could have very easily sat on the couch in my warm house, but then I would have never got the joy of taking this image.Upload YOUR Picture • WIN $200 Cash
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor