TAKE PART • WIN $100
A frequent mistake I make when out shooting is to leave too early from my location. On too many occasions I have spent hours on the same spot waiting for the best conditions and left five minutes before they happened. This picture is a good example, although luckily I was able to correct my mistake by jumping out of the car a few kilometers down the road, searching frantically for a composition and taking the picture literally seconds before the light disappeared. I had been out for a while on a sunny winter afternoon, in good hopes for a spectacular alpenglow. As sunset came closer the few clouds over the mountains started to disappear and lots of others started to pop up where the sun would go down. So I left, having lost any hope for the thick layer of clouds in front of the sun to disappear. After about a minute in the car I saw the light on the mountains, stopped my car on the spot, luckily found a nice diagonal slope as foreground and took a shot that I’m quite happy with. Even though the sky is boring, too many clouds would probably have been too much of a distraction in the image, and by cropping it to a 16:9 format I eliminated most of it anyway.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor