TAKE PART • WIN $100
I decided to drive into Glacier National Park for sunrise, after seeing a beautiful sunrise in nearby Kalispell the previous morning and a prediction for similar conditions in the forecast. Lake McDonald is easy to reach year round and is a great place to view the mountains, so I made my way there and arrived about an hour before sunrise. Some fresh snow had fallen over night and it as a calm, peaceful morning. In fact I had never seen the lake that calm.
I found a spot along the shoreline and zoomed to frame the mountains and their reflection. Even though it was still dark, I captured a few frames to check my composition and to make sure I got an image in case the wind came up. As it turned out, these were my favorite images from the morning.
I used an aperture of f/8 as there was nothing in the foreground that needed to be sharp and used ISO 400 to keep the shutter speed reasonable without adding any significant noise. My goal with the composition was to fill the frame with the mountains and clouds. I processed the image to retain the feeling of a cold, still morning, with a slightly blue white balance and avoiding too much contrast. My final adjustment was a 16x9 crop to keep the emphasis on the mountains. As much as I was hoping for the sun to light up the clouds and mountains as it rose, I was very happy with the serene mood that I was able to capture.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor