Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Ptarmigan Lake is located in the Chugach National Forest on the Kenai Peninsula of Southcentral Alaska. This four-mile long, blue-green glacial lake is surrounded by the Kenai Mountains. Mount Andy Simons rises over a mile in vertical relief to 6210 feet with a hanging glacier visible below the summit. The landscape is classic Alaska.
While I photographed this close to the summer solstice, it really typifies a high-energy spring day with vibrant, just leafed out trees, fragrant fresh air and warm sun — well worth the long winter wait to explore.
When I posted this on social media I titled it Alpine Jewel and Velvia Days. Even though I processed this using HDR to retain detail in the delicate, high-altitude clouds stretched by the winds, the look is true to the actual visual experience. I was elated that the surface winds stayed calm to provide a nearly perfect reflection. To bring out some detail on the lake bottom I used a polarizer, but not to its full effect. Film photographers will remember the saturated look of Fuji Velvia slide film and how it would be perfect to capture this location.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor