When it comes to photography, coastal landscapes are one of my favorite subjects. Where the ocean meets the land, there are often good conditions for interesting weather to occur. Furthermore, erosional agents continuously affect the rocks and cliffs, creating strange and curious shapes. I made this photo during sunset time, while returning to my car, after finishing another walk along a coastal trail in southwest Portugal.
As the afternoon progressed, I had noticed that the clouds had been accumulating in the horizon, completely blocking the sunlight. As such, my photographic opportunities had not been very good, and I had to concentrate in the details, rather than in the scenic vistas I had in mind. Still, I always enjoy a good walk along these quiet paths, and in this April afternoon I had not encountered any other soul.
I had already packed my camera and tripod in the backpack, when I noticed that a thin sliver of clear sky was forming between the clouds and the sea. Perhaps the sun would appear for some brief moments, or not, one never knows. But I wanted to be ready, just in case, so I picked my camera again, and mounted a telephoto lens, just in case. Sure enough, a few minutes later, that thin strip of sky came alive in an orange color, even though it was not completely clear. I sat down in the cliff and spend the next minutes photographing the changing light.
This photo is my favorite from that quick session, because it shows the nice blue and orange complementary colors and transmits the quietness as another day ended. While processing the Raw file, I enhanced the saturation just a little bit, so the final image would match what I saw that day.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor