During the pandemic of 2020 we made a move from Southern California to Florida in August. On the way I wanted to stop at one of my favorite places, White Sands, New Mexico to photograph the dunes, possibly for the last time. Having gone out of our way to spend just one evening there I was beyond disappointed to see the air heavy with smoke blown in from the worst fire season in California and western United Staten recorded history.
Saddened I decided to perch myself anyways high on top of a beautiful white sand dune facing straight into the sun. Sitting in the sand, the air was hot and dry, I waited. Shooting into the smoky haze. Strangely it was somehow beautiful in an unearthly way. I sat there for about an hour, not really knowing what I had. Disappointed, I didn't even look close until we finished our trip across the United States 2 weeks later.
To my surprise, even though the images weren't what I had hoped for they were beautiful. Purple, blue, and orange tones softly muted by the smoke. Amazing how something so beautiful could come of something so tragic. But then that is how I like to see everything. There is beauty everywhere.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor