Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
One of the most colorful and extraordinary places in the American West is the Vermillion Cliffs National Monument. In addition to the rightly famous Wave and Coyote Buttes South is White Pocket. I fell in love with the place as soon as I read of it in Laurent Martres’ Photographing the Southwest and seeing it on an episode of Art Wolfes’s Travels to the Edge TV series. My first visit was something of a bust as our guide promised us a sunset shoot but left early claiming an unfamiliarity with the route. For our second visit, my wife and I met our guide at the Wire Pass trailhead at 3 am (he had an overnight group already there). We arrived just before dawn and stayed through dusk for a fantastic visit.
This scene is one of the first formations one comes to after leaving the nearby campsite. This shot taken just prior to sunrise shows the many colors and shapes of rock. In this image, the foreground red rock reminds me a bit of a glacier flowing down from an icefield. You can let your imagination fly amongst these rocks. One type of sandstone very prevalent at White Pocket is reminiscent of basalt but is irregular in shape and sidedness. Many folks call it “brain rock” for obvious reasons.
Unless you are very experienced with off-road driving through deep sand, I recommend using one of several guide outfits that go to White Pocket. Just make sure they offer a photographers’ tour as many are primarily taking tourists on day excursions.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor