My interest in photography started 4 decades ago, when studying Geology in the University. I always enjoyed being in contact with nature, so documenting geological features and landscapes whilst working the field felt natural to me. Over the years, I have become a passionate photographer, and never lost interest in the natural world. In fact, being out in the field photographing landscapes before sunrise or after sunset, is my way of escaping the stresses of a busy daily life.
One of the places I like to visit regularly is the southwest coast of Portugal, a region that is part of the Southwest Alentejo and Vicentina Coast Natural Park. In February of this year, I walked along the trail that connects the villages of Vila do Bispo and Sagres. This trail crosses some of the most spectacular viewpoints in the region.
This photo was made right after sunset near the Telheiro beach, which is located a few km north of Cape São Vicente. I had been exploring the are around the beach, which is famous for a geological feature called “angular unconformity”. We can see this surface in the photo, between the darker vertical rocks in the bottom (which are 300 million years old), and the horizontal yellow rocks in the top (which are 60 million years old). So, there was a long period during which the older rocks were uplifted and eroded, before the more recent ones were deposited.
This is a perfect example of how geology controls the landscape and the cliffs in this area. Admiring the view is a wonderful experience, enjoying the quietness of the place, with its tall cliffs, the incessant wave action, and the distant horizon. After all, it was from a nearby location that Prince Henry the Navigator planned the Age of the Discoveries.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor