Patterson Farm is known locally as the “Gateway to Lower Makefield Township” in Bucks County, Pa. The farm was built in the 1730’s and has been reserved as open space by an organization dedicated to its preservation. Sunsets in the winter at this location can be quite dramatic as the position of the setting sun is just off to the right of the farm.
On a freezing cold Sunday afternoon the weather seemed to be shaping up for excellent sunset conditions. I made a spur of the moment decision to grab my gear and hurriedly complete the 40-minute drive to the farm. Access to this location requires you park in a local neighborhood and cross a busy road to enter the cornfield.
As the sun set the low-level clouds began lighting up with beautiful color. I captured some great shots of this wonderful display hovering over the picturesque farm buildings. However, I realized that the cloud cover stopped just above the horizon. I was moments away from the sun bursting through the gap in the clouds. This was an opportunity to capture something more than the typical sunset photo. It took less than a minute for the sun to traverse the gap above the horizon. I waited for the perfect moment to press the shutter to capture that split-second dramatic moment when the sun burst through the clouds lighting the field with a warm glow.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor