TAKE PART • WIN $100
Spring in the Sonoran Desert is a fascinating season. It lasts for about 5 months beginning in February when temperatures are warming up again. And lasts until June when the iconic Saguaro cacti bloom. One of the highlights are the Desert Ironwood trees. Their blossoms are a vibrant pink and remind me so much of cherry trees. This photo was taken on a clear sky day. I eliminated the sky almost completely in the composition because there were no clouds that added interest to the photo. The setting sun was glowing and beautiful golden light illuminated the cacti, bushes and the desert ironwood trees from the side.
It is getting hot this time of the year already. This photo was taken at the end of April and temperatures can reach 100 degrees Fahrenheit easily already. If you plan a visit to Phoenix, anything between November and May is great. For photography, spring is my favourite season because of the cacti and wildflower bloom. Or - if you are really adventurous - monsoon season. This is the time big thunderstorms roll in daily between July and August and bring lightning, thunder and sometimes rain or big sandstorms called haboob. But be warned: temperatures up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit AND humidity are very hard to endure. On the other hand, the impressive storm clouds make for extremely interesting photos and almost always, the sky to the west is clear. This is the recipe for the famous colorful Arizona skies and if you are lucky, pink rain over the desert.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor