TAKE PART • WIN $100
Coal Pit Wash is reached along a dirt road which intersects with Highway 24, east of Capital Reef National Park and west of Hanksville. There’s plenty of places to pull off the road and explore the area on foot. I have visited on three different trips to Utah. My favourite time to visit is early and mid fall. The worst of the heat is gone, but there’s no chance of snow or serious cold weather. On my first trip I accidently found Coal Pit Wash while using the road to get closer to the famous Factory Butte.
My wife and friends decided to skip the journey to Coal Pit Wash, as it meant leaving the campsites in Capital Reef before sunrise. It had rained the day before and the road is not a good place to venture when the ground is too wet. The soil turns the road surface into a slurry that can trap the unwary, especially if they venture off the dirt roads in a standard low clearance two wheel drive vehicle. However, my 4x4 Ram pickup handled the road and several flooded washes very well.
I had the road and the Wash completely to myself (except for several free range cattle) for a couple of hours. Although the sunrise was nothing special that morning, the light was clear, and the sky had enough clouds to be interesting. It was quite cool, gradually warming up as the morning progressed. I only carried one camera body, two lenses, a remote shutter release and a tripod.
This part of the wash was about 500 metres from the road, and I found it as I wandered around. I tried several different angles and tripod placements, but liked this this one the best.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor