TAKE PART • WIN $100
Mornings spent on the beach can be so rewarding. Sometimes it's hard for me to roll out of bed early enough to catch the sunrise, but I've learned that most of the time it's totally worth it. On this particular morning in early spring 2021, I was especially torn between my warm bed and the chilly beach air.
I had skipped sunrise the previous morning because the weather forecast wasn't promising and a quick glance at my Weather.com app around 05:00 showed this morning might not be any better. Eventually, I convinced myself that I might as well give it a shot since I was already awake.
I gathered my gear and headed out to Crystal Pier in Wrightsville Beach, NC. My goal was to catch some golden rays of sunlight bursting through the wooden beams of the pier. The weather certainly wasn't going to cooperate with that though. Once I was on the beach, I saw that a heavy fog had set in. At first, I was so discouraged and felt that I wouldn't end up with any shots I liked, but then I started to see things differently. The heavy fog created a unique, almost magical, moody atmosphere that complimented the cool tones of the wooden pier nicely.
I focused on getting some long exposures under the pier just at the break of day and the results were stunning. I love how the leading lines of the pier beams and the repeating patterns draw the viewer directly to the vanishing point at the end of the pier. Although a beautiful sunrise would have been a nice treat, I found the fog to be a welcome surprise. The next time I won't wait for the weather forecast to be 100% perfect before I venture out, I'll just take whatever surprises nature gives me. Enjoy every beautiful moment life brings your way.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor