Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
One of my favourite photographic subjects are seascapes, that is, that transition area between land and sea. I suppose living in Portugal has some influence on this preference, as we have a long and scenic coastal region. I have many preferred photographic locations, and one of them is Carcavelos beach, near my house, in the outskirts of Lisbon.
Throughout the year I make regular visits, especially before sunrise and at dawn, when the light has a softer quality to it, with more subdued colours. I like to walk along the beach, enjoying the tranquility of the early morning, with a few surfers as company. I have many photos of Carcavelos, but I chose this one, made in June a few years ago, because I think it conveys the peaceful ambiance of the place. It is a long exposure made at low tide, with my feet and tripod inside the water, and looking into the distant clouds and horizon line. I had the shutter open for 5 minutes, and I was lucky the sea was very quiet, otherwise the tripod would have moved.
I like the result, showing the softened water merging into the sky, with just a hint of movement in the clouds. At the time I was using a manual focus 24mm lens adapted into one of my mirrorless cameras. Thanks to their shorter flange distance, mirrorless cameras have opened an entire world of possibilities in what regards adapting legacy lenses. I made many photos during this morning session on the beach, as the light was quite nice.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor