Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
In July 2021 I was on a expedition yacht on a humpback whale bubble-net feeding photography tour in the waterways of southeast Alaska. As a winter wildlife and nature photographer, this summer trip observing marine mammal behavior was a once-in-a-lifetime trip that I'd recommend to any wildlife photographer who loves being out in nature where action can happen suddenly and with little notice. There was nothing like breathing in sea air, seeing spectacular scenery, and photographing a group of humpback whales working together collaboratively to feed or photographing the peak moments of 40 tons of whale twisting out of the water skyward. Interesting to note, humpback whales feed primarily in the summer and live off fat reserves during winter.
There were loads of photographic opportunities while cruising long distances over days in search of the humpback whales. Forests of Sitka Spruce, Western Hemlock, Alaska Cedar, and Western Red Cedar blanketed the ribboned fog landscape, shadows and light cascading in all directions. This image being one of several landscape images taken from the boat on this trip.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor