TAKE PART • WIN $100
As a nature photographer and long time resident of the Pacific Northwest region of the United States, I am well aware of the wealth of magnificent natural features this area has to offer. One of my favorite subjects to photograph are waterfalls, and this region has plenty of great ones. Now that I am based in Bend, Oregon, I have discovered that this state has some of the finest waterfalls in North America, if not the entire world. I enjoy photographing them in all seasons, but lately I have come to prefer capturing images of them in winter. There is just something special about seeing the ribbons of water flowing down from up high, surrounded by snow and ice.
Like many other photographers these days I have been seeking out landscapes close to home, as it doesn’t make sense to travel during a pandemic. Recently, I decided to take a day trip to visit and photograph Salt Creek Falls in the Oregon Cascades. With a drop of 286 feet it is the third highest waterfall in Oregon, and considered one of the most beautiful. The water here plunges into a gaping canyon, with a pool at the bottom that is about 70 feet deep.
The hike to the falls from the parking area was short but covered in snow and ice. The first glimpse was from above and did not provide a pleasing composition as far as I was concerned. It was better to continue on down the trail to reach a point that gave me a direct head on view. I used a four stop ND filter and a small aperture to achieve a slower shutter speed during this daylight hour. This allowed me to create an image that displayed the waterfall as a curtain of soft silky ribbons surrounded by the snow and ice of winter.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor