TAKE PART • WIN $100
I would not normally venture into Scotland during the winter months as I dont like cold weather and i dont ski. Admittedly the charms of sitting in front of an open log fire with a glass of whisky in hand is appealing if ensconced in a Scottish boutique hotel but even then it would be with some reluctance being a "soft" southerner.
On this occasion however i needed to attend an important international conference and was even participating so no excuse would be accepted for my absence.
At the end of the event I set off from Edinburgh in the morning to head south for the 400 + miles having fuelled up the car. I always drive as I prefer it to rail, refuse to fly as I do not like "small" planes (less than a 747 in size!) and it quicker than the train and dont even think about a coach!
The route I always choose, as the conference is biennial, is to leave the granite city by the A702 which takes you through the Pentland Hills Regional Park, a slow road but a very pretty way.
As always it was bitterly cold and overcast with the threat of more snow which we had experienced during the several days of the conference.
When I skirted Penicuik and just before reaching "Grain Burn" to the right of the road i espied a frozen are of flooded field with a convenient parking layby immediately nearby.
I stopped and chose a suitable spot for composing the image and took a few exposures at varying angles and viewpoints to see what came out best. There was not much light and needed a wide aperture with slowish shutter speed and took care to avoid camera shake.
The resultant image was made great by the growth of plant projecting through the ice which had partly thawed and the background of the mist shrouded hills.
Later that journey the snow came and presented more opportunties for interesting scenes.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor