TAKE PART • WIN $100
Iceland is a magical place, especially in winter. Having read many accounts of hazardous driving conditions and fierce storms, I decided on my first trip to go on a photo tour of north Iceland and leave the driving to someone else. For most of the trip we visited all the usual places in our tour bus. However to get to Aldeyjarfoss and Hrafnabjargafoss, we went in two super jeeps driven by a pair of bearded jovial guides who would have looked at home on a Viking ship.
Anyone who has visited Aldeyjarfoss knows it is a steep descent from the parking area to the plateau above the splash pool. Hiking in knee deep snow, especially on the return, was difficult but well worth the effort. The blue waterfall’s basalt columns were caked in thick ice. Maneuvering around between shots, two words kept popping up in my head: winter and cold. It was a totally different experience from shooting this waterfall in summer.
If you visit Iceland in winter on your own, you should be experienced in severe winter driving. Two years after this trip, my wife and I returned on our own to tour the south coast and visit some ice caves. We drove through a couple of moderate snow storms early in the trip with no problem. But on our last morning, trying to beat a Ring Road closure, we encountered a whiteout that lasted 5-10 minutes, the scariest thing we have ever encountered in our travels. Winds here can be ferocious. The day before our arrival, a 757 was spun around at the airport! Attention to weather and road condition reports is critical to a safe trip in Iceland in winter. Fortunately Icelandic rental cars are equipped with studded tires in winter, which along with AWD help immensely.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor