TAKE PART • WIN $100
Our lifelong ambition to visit Antarctica was not without its hiccups. Our first attempt saw us get all the way down to Ushuaia on the Beagle Channel at the southern tip of Argentina. We boarded the ship for our 11 day voyage but after only 24 hours, found that one of the engines was unserviceable and we weren't going anywhere. Hugely disappointing to say the least but we salvaged a week in Patagonia before we headed home to the UK and re-booked for the next year.
A year later we didn't even get to leave the UK - 2 weeks before our departure date we were informed that the ship was still in Italy being re-engined! Not to be deterred, we again re-booked and, the following year actually achieved our dream with the most fantastic 11 day trip across the Drake Passage to the South Shetland Islands and the Antarctic Peninsula. I took a lot of shots!
This one is one of our first glimpses of land after 48 hours at sea. It is of Robert Island with its imposing mountain and not a lot else. The ship was some distance away so the image is shot at 300 mm to capture the detail of the complete snow cover and a few rocky outcrops on the mountain. The weather was calm and clear with some light cloud to add interest to the sky. The rest of the trip yielded many wonderful images and 4 years on, I'm still editing some!
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor