During the summer of 2021, we took a family camping trip to the Canadian Rockies. For the first time in years, I went without many landscape photography expectations. It was a good thing; smoke from the nearby wildfires in BC enveloped much of the mountain ranges around Banff National Park, all but eliminating the grand landscape.
Before the trip, I had enjoyed a few photos of different waterfalls captured with a fast shutter speed that freezes the motion of water. I had planned to try some of this intimate landscape photography with a fast shutter at a few different waterfalls during the trip. After a few unsuccessful practice rounds at various waterfalls in the Rockies, I succeeded with this photo at the always-powerful Takakkaw Falls in Yoho National Park.
Takakkaw Falls is the second-highest waterfall in Canada with an astonishing total height of 373 meters. So much water comes over the falls in the summer that it creates its own atmosphere. You'll hear it before you see it, the spray will hit you nearly a kilometre from its base, temperatures drop 15-20 degrees Celcius at its base; it's one of Canada's most awe-inspiring natural wonders.
This summer in particular, waterflow seemed higher than usual. A hotter than normal temperature trend had led to faster melting of the glacier at the top of the falls, bringing enormous volumes of water down the rock face. This presented a challenge for this photograph. In many attempts before and after this one, the cliff face disappeared behind a wall of water. The photo above was the only exposure out of several hundred where the texture, flow, and light were just right.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor