Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
This photo was made in April 2021, while still under confinement measures due to Covid-19. As such, it was only permitted to make short walks near home, avoiding large groups of people. I live close to Carcavelos beach, so it is a place I normally go to photograph, either at sunrise or sunset. On this occasion, I visited before sunrise, for an early morning photographic session.
This pier, or pontoon, is located near one of the entrances to the beach, and provides an interesting composition, as it leads the eye towards the horizon. The weather was cloudy, with some rain and wind. Given the low light levels, a long exposure was necessary, but that was fine, as I wanted to enhance the trailing of the clouds. Due to the long exposure, the waves were also smoothed out, which provided a nice contrast with the sharp lines of the pier. I set up the tripod at the beginning of the pier and mounted my wide-angle lens (14mm in APSC, FF equivalent of 21mm). This wide angle of view ensured a nice foreground, with the leading lines of the structure pointing towards the horizon and the moving clouds.
At this early hour, the public lights were still on, adding a yellowish colour to the illumination, which I preserved in the final image. This provides a good complement to the blue colour of the pre-sunrise natural light. I always shoot Raw, to preserve the largest amount of data possible, and in this case the image processing was simple, consisting of basic adjustments to contrast, tone, and white balance.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor