TAKE PART • WIN $100
On November 9, 2020 I made the decision to go up to Chinook Pass in Washington state which is 2 hours from my home in southeastern Washington in hopes of getting a winter sunrise photo of Mount Rainier. I had been there a couple of days before and the mountain was completely covered with clouds. On Chinook Pass there is a great view of Mount Rainier and there are 2 small tarns or lakes where if the water is still you can get a reflection of this majestic mountain. I knew the highway department would be closing Chinook Pass down for the winter in a couple of days because of the heavy winter snowfall and avalanche danger. The pass elevation is at 5430 feet and it is part of the Cascade Range in Washington state. It also is the east entrance to Mount Rainier National Park and is part of the Chinook Scenic Byway.
I left my home in Prosser, Washington around 6:00 am and got up to Chinook Pass at 8:00 am in time for sunrise. I put on my microspikes and grabbed my tripod and camera and found a spot along the highway to photograph Mount Rainier and the bigger tarn named Lake Tipsoo. The clouds and fog were obscuring part of the mountain so I left that spot after sunrise and hiked into the smaller of the tarns to see if I could get a great winter shot with a reflection of Mount Rainier. There was quite a bit of snow and ice but I just followed the pathway down to the tarn. I was pleasantly surprised to see an opening on the water where I could get a partial reflection of Mount Rainier. This was one of the photos I took that morning,
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor