TAKE PART • WIN $100
Salt Spring, nestled in the Salish Sea between Vancouver Island and the mainland, is an island of hidden gems for landscape photographers and for poets like me, who appreciate the delicate vignettes to be found here in British Columbia with its rugged mountains, lush rainforests and thunderous waterfalls. And after living here for almost two decades, I’m still awed by the incredible diversity, in terms of unique landscapes and ever-changing weather patterns, we have on our 185 square km island — with its "cool Mediterranean" microclimate — which is especially lovely in winter when it gets cold enough for the rain to turn to snow — on the rare occasion.
When I captured this image, I had just returned to Salt Spring after having been in sunny Vancouver in late November and overnight, winter’s hoar-frost hands had laid a fragile sheet of calm over the island with a fine dusting of snow. And so, in the morning, I was looking forward to visiting one of my favourite wetland areas — Blackburn Lake Nature Reserve, located in the centre of the island and which is a haven for over 100 species of birds, whose songs I love to hear. When I arrived at the entrance, however, all was still and so quiet and the once dew-bejewelled golden grass was now sparkling with crystals of ice and from a distance, the fields looked like they were wearing a soft, fur coat of frost. It was absolutely magical as there wasn’t another soul in sight and I was captivated by the fairytale-like quality of this scene by the shimmering pond which, for me, was truly a winter vision.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor