TAKE PART • WIN $100
A storm was coming, and I saw the clouds building while I was still down in Moab, just putting groceries into my cooler. I quickly closed the lid, tossed the rest of my things into the car, and high-tailed it for the Islands in the Sky area of Canyonlands National Park. It's not a short drive, but I was hopeful that I'd make it before the storm did, as I wanted to capture the drama and mood of the day over the goosenecks and canyon labyrinth from the overlook. I was lucky - I made it in time to capture the clouds building into an ominous-looking storm, while I still had a sliver of light to illuminate the river below in the distance. Standing at the edge of a 2000 foot drop into the canyon floor below, I felt energized by the view, and the storm. There was no lightning or thunder with this one, so I felt pretty safe - but soon after I captured this a hailstorm hit and I had to take cover inside a juniper tree - no time to run back to the car without getting pummelled or soaked! It reminded me of John Muir, when he climbed 80 feet up in a redwood tree to ride out the storm and feel nature's power. Once the storm passed, I stepped out of my sheltering place and headed back to the car and my campground.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor