Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
My wife and I had a trip to northern Arizona in September of 2015. One of the things that we wanted to do was to visit a remote area called Coyote Buttes North, which features a very beautiful sandstone formation called The Wave. It is in a protected wilderness area, and you must have a permit to visit. There are two ways to get one of the few permits that are available: by online lottery or in a local lottery at the Kanab, Utah Visitor's Center.
I applied online, but did not get a permit. During our trip, I also went in to the local lottery, but no luck. Back home, I continued applying online. Alas, I kept coming up empty.
We made one final plan to stay in the Kanab area for our spring 2021 trip. The odds in the local lottery are around 100 to 1 per drawing, much better than the online one at 1000 to 1 or worse. Amazingly though, I hit for an online permit on a very good date during our planned stay in Kanab. I was so happy!
On the chosen day, we loaded our backpacks for the day with food, water, and photo gear. The Wave trailhead is located down a rough dirt road, and then it is a 5.5 km hike to get there over sand and slickrock. We arrived late morning, which is a good time to shoot there because you do not want shadows falling across the formation.
I took a lot of wide shots from various angles, as the Wave presents quite uniquely from different directions. This is a tighter shot right into the heart of The Wave.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor