Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
A vision finally realised after a years planning and waiting. This is Borrowdale water Mill in the Lake District, UK and I have wanted this shot for quite a few years now and finally a few weeks ago I got my shot. Not an original composition by any means but comps are limited at this location if you want to include all of the mill.
A blissful 3 hour photo shoot at this amazing location resulted in this x28 shot HDR/PANO image. This is x28 50mb files combined and stitched together to create a 1.4gb raw file that is 14000x7000 pixels large. The detail you can see on this image blown up is astonishing.
The conditions were a little tricky and the 16mm lens wasn't wide enough to capture all the scene I wanted to so a pano was necessary. I used a 24-70mm lens and took x7 portrait shots lapped over by 50% (some people say 33% overlap is fine but I prefer to have 50% to guarantee flawless stitching) and took 4 different exposures each time, 2 secs, 1 sec, 1/3rd sec and 1/10th sec. This captured the wide dynamic range and also gave me smooth water which wasn’t the focal point of the image anyway. In hindsight the light was flat but more importantly it was constant and this allowed me to take all my shots which probably took around 8 minutes to complete.
I also used a polariser to cut the glare and to emphasise the lush carpet of vivid green mosses more. It was combined in LR and edited in PS and Luminar AI. Such a great feeling to have executed this technical shot and to come away with an image I’m very proud of.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor