Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Like so many sub-arctic and arctic regions of the world, Alaska is a land of striking contrasts. No where is that more apparent than in the juxtaposition of wildflowers against a backdrop of a glacier. The vibrant colors of wildflowers flourishing in summer’s warmth compete with the cold, hard reminders of glacial ice produced by long, harsh winters.
A modest hike of two miles one way ascending 700 feet up and over an alpine pass brings you to the shore of Portage Lake with Portage Glacier in the background. This photo was taken in late July when Dwarf Fireweed along the lake shore puts on its best show of deep magenta. Verdant greens cover the lower elevations of the surrounding Chugach Mountains. Since green is the complimentary color of magenta, together they amplify their visual impact.
An iceberg from the calving glacier is seen floating close to the near shore. With a warming climate, the last few decades have seen the glacier retreat over two miles across the lake where it used to be visible from the visitor center.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor