TAKE PART • WIN $100
On a winter walk along Rock Creek about one mile from my house, I found a scene where the overhanging limbs from each bank created a tunnel effect drawing one’s eye upstream. I went back to photograph the scene following a snowfall and liked the result. I knew then that I would return for more photographs, and in particular, wanted to capture the emergence of the spring leaves. I waited patiently for the warmer weather, and two weeks ago I felt the time was right. I arrived at the creek just after the first light appeared in the east and began photographing from a couple of viewpoints, taking advantage of the cool tones of the trees and their reflections in the creek.
As the sun cracked the horizon, I waded out to an island downstream and set up for my intended shot. I took a few frames and continued to wait. When I saw this image on the screen, it was just what I had envisioned and I thought “Wow.” I love the softness of the yellows and greens and how the sunlight just barely touches the tree trunks and foliage. The stillness of the water creates a wonderful reflection. With the exception of a minor crop on the left side, this photo is exactly how it came out of the camera. I couldn’t ask for a photo more closely matching my vision of the scene. I continued shooting for another half hour, and while I like many of the photos, I think this one stands well above the others.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor