Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
The Huangshan Mountains in China are famous for their steep granite ridges, bonsai-like trees, and cloud formations. My wife and I visited these mountains mostly because I have long admired traditional Chinese landscape paintings, which often used layers of landscape such as mountain ridges to help achieve the illusion of three-dimensional depth. Many of these landscape paintings were inspired by the Huangshan Mountains.
My wife and I hiked steep trails in these mountains for three days. While we were there, the lighting and cloud formations were constantly changing around the ridges as well as above and below the mountains. One afternoon while climbing up a steep trail cut into the side of a cliff, I paused to take some photos of clouds and mist flowing around this ridge on the other side a narrow, deep valley. Because the sky was cloudy, the lighting in this scene was quite flat. In processing this image I increased the contrast between the ridges and clouds just above to accentuate the layers of ridges and clouds, much as in traditional Chinese landscape paintings.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor