TAKE PART • WIN $100
A friend and I discovered this bridge almost by accident back in the autumn on a trip down to the mountains. We’d seen it from the other side of the road on the way in to shoot a nearby waterfall and thought it might be worth checking out on our way back out, and boy were we right. It lies on this lovely river curve that you can’t see from the road at all. Choosing the right place to shoot from you can make the road and an ugly concrete embankment almost completely disappear behind the bridge. This was my third attempt at shooting it this winter; I didn’t like the first two as there was no snow to speak of on the trees, though the sky was a bit more interesting on our second visit.
On this occasion we dropped in on the way back from a morning’s cross-country skiing after a decent snowfall and found ideal conditions. It had been bitterly cold all day despite blue skies - I reckon we were down to about -15°C at one point, though it had warmed up a good ten degrees by mid afternoon when we arrived. The snow on the trees blocks most of the colour leaving it essentially a monochrome blue and white image. I’ve done very little to adjust the colour; the water is authentic, one of the things that caught our eyes in the first place. We’re definitely going to keep an eye on this location through the seasons. Persistence is key!
This is an HDR image of three shots; 1/3, 1/13 and 1/250 s - the dynamic range was too large for a single shot with the sun on the hilltops behind.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor