Bandon Beach and its sea stacks are some of the most accessible and photographed stacks in the world. This was a must do on a trip up the California and Oregon coasts.
Arriving later than ideal, I found nearly a dozen photographers with their tripods at the edge of the surf. There was one more photographer up to his waist (and shoulders with higher swells coming in) who was receiving scathing looks from the other photographers. He had positioned himself in their images and there was nothing they could do about it. My take was that the guy probably traveled from South America for this one shot and was not to be denied. He even had the appropriate waterproof gear on. We were occasionally entertained as he struggled to keep his tripod firm and camera dry. It seemed that he had not planned well enough to realize he would be fighting a rising tide.
Instead of joining in with the derisive comments, I set about making the best images I could. My late arrival meant I would be limited to silhouettes, which was just what I needed to make him disappear into the stack on the left side. It was not too difficult to find a position that placed the Bandon Needle in an attractive position with the more distant stacks providing depth against the soft sunset. Although I could totally edit the human sea creature out of the photo, I left his faint shadow in place as a reminder of the fun that evening and that I should arrive in earlier next time.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor